Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review of Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


***** 5 STARS:  Wow, just WOW. Once in a while, a book comes along right when you need it. For me, Slammed was this type of book. I took away many important messages, ones that I needed to be reminded of lately and that can only enhance my life and make me a better mother and person. For that alone, I say "thank you" to Colleen Hoover.

The story took me somewhat by surprise as I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't want to read too many reviews once I started to hear about this book, mainly because it is so highly rated and I didn't want to read any accidental spoilers. I wasn't prepared to be so touched by the characters, the journeys they take, and the challenges presented to them. I absolutely love all the people in this book, and Hoover does an AMAZING job making you feel like you know them without being long-winded and going into excruciating detail. Everything just flows and the book is an amazingly quick read with simple yet complex messages.

This book is full of contradictions...it's happy, it's sad...it's funny, it's serious...it's elation, it's devastion...it's everything a book should be. Do yourself a favor and read it. You will laugh, you'll cry, and you'll learn a lot of important life lessons. In case you can't tell, I absolutely loved this book and Colleen Hoover, you are amazing! Thank you for opening my eyes and for introducing me to slam poetry, The Avett Brothers, and Marty Schoenleber.

No comments:

Post a Comment