Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review of Easy by Tammara Webber

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night - but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

Mature Young Adult / New Adult


***** 5 STARS
Tammara Webber - I love you...I love your writing and that you tackled an important issue in a realistic manner! I really enjoyed this mature YA story, especially Lucas :-) He is charming, thoughtful, intelligent, gorgeous, artistic, funny, and tortured with a horrific past. I also loved Erin, Jacqueline's best friend. She was a hoot! The theme of "girl power" was wonderful to see as well. The dialogue in Easy is realistic as are the situations the characters find themselves in.

Webber addresses an important topic for females, which is why I would recommend all women over the age of 16-18 (due to the subject matter, although I wish I could give this to younger girls as well) read this book. Tammara, along with a few other YA authors, is trying to pave the way for a new category of books - mature young adult/early adult - featuring college aged (18-23) characters. Even though I'm a 36 year old mother of two young kids, I really enjoy reading about this age group. It makes me reminise, which I like as I use reading as my escape from my crazy everyday life. Also, with this age group, authors can tackle different subject matter and themes that might be a little too mature for the younger teen audience. The steam factor and the maturity of the romances can also be turned up as well, again something I enjoy reading.

(view spoiler)SLIGHT SPOLIER: The subject of rape and date rape are addressed in a realistic manner by the author. The fact that some believe the victims and some don't is common as are the vicitms' reactions to the crimes against them. I LOVED how Webber tied this part of the plot to what horrifically happened to Lucas's mother. I cried (which I don't typically do while reading books) on a few occasions while reading this.

Ironically, my favorite "quote" in this book was actually not in the story itself but in the acknowledgement section: "To those who relate to any part of this story - if you haven't told, tell. Even if it's been months, years, decades. Tell someone. We remain silent because we've taken responsibility and/or a shame that was never ours to carry. Forgive yourself for things that were not your fault. Bad decisions, mistaken trust, physical weakness, or too much fear to act do not make an assault on you or someone you care about your fault. Ever."  END SPOLIER

Do yourself a favor and read this book. It's funny, romantic, realistic, and poigent, but it has a happy ending. I think this would make a great movie someday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment