Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review of Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


*** 3.5 STARS:  I give the first 60% of this book 4 stars, but it went on too long, and as many have said, it felt like an excessively long epilogue from then on. I give the second 40% 3 stars. I really enjoyed the first part of this story and love triangle. Chase and Brandon were great and opposites from each other and from Harper, the sheltered virgin. I loved the similarities in Taking Chances to two of my favorite books, Beautiful Disaster and Thoughtless. Like Harper, I had a hard time choosing between the guys myself! The friendship between Harper and Bree was fun and entertaining as well. I enjoyed watching her grow and find herself.

The book had some issues though which kept me from rating it higher. I love Molly McAdams characters and her story development, but the thing that most distracted me in this story was the jumping around of time with no notation. You'll be reading on a page and then on the same page, you might jump a few months without realizing it until something is mentioned that makes you realize it. Another annoying thing was how much everyone loved Harper instantly...Brandon, Chase, Carter, all the housemates, Bree & Chase's parents, Brandon's mom and brother, etc. I understand that main themes in Taking Chances are second chances and the love of family...a family that is created by people that love and care about each other...not necessarily blood-related family, but it was all a little too sugar-coated and over the top for me. I was expecting SOMEONE to be upset with Harper for what she did...but nope.

Overall though, this was a good young/mature adult read. Although I thought the book should've ended much sooner than it did, it was a complete book and I felt like I really knew all the characters and what ended up happening to them. I will most definitely read Stealing Harper when it comes out. I do love me some Chase! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment