Friday, March 8, 2013

Review of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


***** 5+ STARS:
I freaking LOVED this book! It's one of my all-time favorites ever, if not my favorite.  I have a huge crush on Travis now.  I loved him, then I hated him, then I loved him again.  He's the ultimate bad boy book boyfriend...sexy, tattooed, tough, sweet, possessive, unpredictable, thoughtful, and funny.  Would I want my daughter to date him in real life, hell no, BUT in a fictious story, he's just swoon-worthy.  I found Abby to be annoying at times, but I think her character made the story even more realistic as we were dealing with young college aged kids. I found the dialogue to be realistic and the way the relationship evolved to be very true-to-life.

Some people feel as though the relationship was too volatile, which it was, BUT this is a work of fiction AND these types of relationships exist in "the real world."  It was realistic...it wasn't sugar-coated and all sunshine and flowers.  I liked that about the book and the characters.  They have flaws, their relationship had flaws, but they learned to deal with them and grew from them. 

I would really love to visit these characters again. This is one that I will re-read again and again I'm sure.  I'm anxiously awaiting Walking Disaster, the next book from McGuire which will tell the story from Travis's POV (due out 3/26/13).

Here is my Travis:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment